[dokuwiki] Re: adding autobackup saving

  • From: Guy Brand <gb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2006 21:58:33 +0100

On 06 March at 21:39, Andreas Gohr wrote:

> 1) I currently only save one backup per user. Is this a good idea?
> Probably not. Multiple open browser windows would destroy overwrite
> each others backup file.

  As already suggested by Chris userid+ip based backup file should be
  ok.

> 2) how and when to notify the user about her dangling backup files?

  A message has to be displayed but this won't be enough if the user
  cannot compare his backup file with the current file, as the file
  could have changed since the user lost his edit session. By the way
  when is this message going to be displayed? when the user edits the
  page again? when he views the page? Both?

> 3) I always save the whole document in the backup (this is needed for
> continuing the edit session) When the user continues the backed up
> document. Should the whole doc be loaded or the section edited only?

  Whole is more logical in the backup context, i.e. we take out the
  whole backed up file. Editing only the section could let the user
  think that the rest of the doc was lost.

> 4) should we add some cleanup mechanism for old backups? When to delete
> a backup file?
>
> if a newer document revision exists?
>
> if the newer document revision is X days older than the backup?
>
> if the backup is older than X days?

  4a means that if user A crashes his session leaving a backup file
  and if user B changes the file before A comes back to edit/view it
  then the backup will get removed. Do we want that?

  4b/c, considering that this backup feature is an answer to browser
  crashes, network outages, power failures, or anything that can
  happend to an editing session when coffee gets spread all over the
  keyboard, I don't think these backup files are meant to replace a
  revision system, so they should have a limited time to live of a few
  days.

  gb