[dokuwiki] Where's the Release Candidate?

  • From: Andreas Gohr <andi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2010 15:10:00 +0200

Hi,

you might be wondering where the RC is that was supposed to be
released on Friday. Here's what happened:

- on Friday none of the bugs from the todo list (devel:todo) were
fixed, so I started to fix them
- meanwhile more bugs got reported that had to be fixed before a release
- I was short on time (and didn't feel so well) so I postponed the RC
to Sunday (today)
- Today I fixed some more bugs and started to prepare the release
- Then I noticed another bug introduced by Adrian 2 weeks ago
- I fixed that bug as well
- Ready to release I thought, so I went through my release checklist
(now at devel:release)
- Step 1 is running the unit tests
- the unit tests gave me a bunch of fails
- that's where I am right now

I'm not in the mood to fix those tests as well and I don't want to
release with failing tests of which I don't know if the tests or the
code is faulty.

We seriously need to restructure how we approach releases and how
things are tested. It's kind of frustrating to get bugs and tests only
fixed when a release is approaching. And it isn't healthy that all of
this is depending on me getting my ass up to initiate the process.

I have a few ideas how we can do this different in the future. I'll
try to outline the stuff I have in mind before our hackfest in Zurich
so we can talk about it there. But basically I need some people
volunteering to help me with the organizational stuff, because I can't
keep up with it.

For the release candidate, I'll see when my mood for fixing the test
cases returns (or maybe someone else does it) and I'll build the RC
then.

Andi

PS: yes, this mail is a bit of a rant. don't take it personally
please. I really appreciate all the voluntary work you people provided
in the past. I'm just feeling a bit overwhelmed by responsibilities
currently.

--
splitbrain.org