[dokuwiki] When is a title not a title

  • From: "Paul Oldham" <paul@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 16:25:09 +0100 (BST)

I would like to be able to give a link I add to a page a title. Now by
"title" I mean a "title" attribute to the <a> anchor tag of the link. I'm
defining that pedantically because it took me a while to realise, while
looking at plugins which it turned out wouldn't help[1], that "title"
doesn't have that meaning in DokuWiki.

The documentation[2] describes the hyper-linked text (i.e. that enclosed
by <a>...</a> as "Title Text". However it's curiously inconsistent in this
regard as that's only for internal links. The same text for external links
is described as a "Linkname" although the syntax and usage is identical.

So this email isn't about title attributes, I'll come back to that later,
it's about the documentation. I know it's a Wiki and open for all to edit
but this is core stuff and I'm new here. Is there any good reason why I
shouldn't re-write the documentation for links to consistently name the
text between the <a>...</a> tags as something other than the rather
misleading "title" (as "hyperlink text" I would suggest)?
--
Paul

[1] this one http://www.dokuwiki.org/plugin:linkway in particular
[2] http://www.dokuwiki.org/syntax#links