[dokuwiki] Specifying the mailer

  • From: "Joe Lapp" <joe.lapp@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 23:25:28 -0500 (CDT)

I'll be adding a $conf['mailer'] variable that specifies a mailer integration
file.  That file will be responsible for defining the following function:

    function mailer_send_text($to, $cc, $bcc, $replyTo, $subject,
            $msg, $fromName=null, $fromAddress=null)

(We may want mailer_send_html() in the future.)

I'll provide a phpmailer.stub.php implementing this function for PHPMailer.
The stub will read conf/phpmailer.config.php for mailer configuration
variables, which are stuffed into $conf[].

QUESTION: What exactly goes into $conf['mailer']?  A root-relative path?  A
site-relative path?  A wiki-directory-relative path?  Or just a filename for a
file expected to be found in a specific directory.

I prefer the last option.  Since the stub file is dokuwiki-specific, I think it
ought to go somewhere in lib/plugins.  Should we have a directory specifically
for stubs or integration extensions?  Mind if I require the mailer stub to be
in lib/plugins/stubs/ (e.g. lib/plugins/stubs/phpmailer.stub.php)?  Maybe
people prefer lib/plugins/ext/?

Of course, the stubs themselves wouldn't be distributed with dokuwiki.

(The idea here is that a mailer can be selected merely by changing
$conf['mailer'].  To facilitate this, each mailer would store its configuration
in a separate file.  This approach isn't that valuable for mailers, but it
serves as a good role model, me thinks, for future integration extensions.)

~joe