[dokuwiki] Re: Some Patches...

  • From: Christopher Smith <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2008 02:05:38 +0000

On 14 Mar 2008, at 23:45, fabidev@xxxxxxxx wrote:

common tools for PHP4.zip

There is no real need for these. I don't see it as a function of DW core to cater for programming failings in plugins. DW clearly states its PHP compatibility.

css improvement.zip

These changes are redundant, ie. the current cascade will result in the styles you've suggested being applied. This change would defeat the purpose of having the cascade in the first place and is only likely to make it more difficult for template/plugin/userstyle modifications to override default DW styles.

(??) force write with fflush.zip

If you aren't sure there is a problem being solved here and there aren't any bug reports in this area, its not really a change worth making ;-).

I'm pretty sure a "close" beats a "flush" anyhow.

image-class for shown pictures.zip

Again this is redundant. Using "img" or ".dokuwiki img" selectors does just as good a job.

linebreak.zip

There has been considerable discussion about this on the list over the last couple of years, in particular in the last couple of weeks. Considered opinion is not to offer a config option. Note, recent patches applied to devel version make it possible to install a replacement xhtml renderer which could preserve line breaks in wiki text through to xhtml output (without any of the clusminess of the current linebreak plugin).

A couple of points.
- if you are going to take the time to prepare a patch, its not very nice to say, "oh, but this breaks a whole host of test cases". Part of making a change is to ensure it complies with existing tests or to modify any affected tests to comply with the modified behaviour. - the appearance of the prebuilt page snippets (i.e. the text at the top of the predefined pages, e.g. index, recent changes, etc) is affected by this as they may include linebreaks. Proposing a patch means taking the time to ensure (as much as possible) it works nicely with the rest of DW, otherwise you're only doing half a job .. and I doubt very much that Andi will consider applying a patch which doesn't play nice.

rss Exclude.zip

This one works for me, but then I'm not a big user of DW RSS feeds or familiar with that portion of the code.

-Chris