[dokuwiki] Re: Per-page discussions

  • From: "Joe Lapp" <joe.lapp@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 09:00:21 -0500 (CDT)

> This goes clearly beyond the scope of an Wiki Engine. That's what forums
> are designed for. You should consider autolinking the wiki to a forum
> engine or something...

I agree that the wikiness of a wiki engine isn't an ideal substrate for
discussion functionality, but I don't think it's fair to say that discussions
are beyond the scope of a wiki engine.

Consider the number of independent discussions that exist on just the DokuWiki
wiki.  Consider that it was important enough for Mediawiki to make the feature
available from every page (and that there's a discussion happening on virtually
every Mediawiki page).  Even just in the abstract, the idea of people
collaborating to produce a common product requires easy communication
separately from the product; wikis virtually *require* discussion forums.

Perhaps if we don't want to build a thorough discussion solution on a wiki
substrate, we could provide out-of-the-box hooks for integrating DokuWiki with
one or more dedicated discussion engines.

Besides, I think DokuWiki would be an easier sell if it had some form of
inherent discussion support.  I personally bulk at recommending DokuWiki to
serve the city of Austin because of its absence, and yet I'm a hardcore
DokuWiki fan using DokuWiki for my own purposes.

~joe