[dokuwiki] News section in Admin screen

  • From: Andreas Gohr <andi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2012 11:44:03 +0200

Hi,

during the hackfest, we had a discussion about how we could better
reach DokuWiki users. One idea was to add some kind of
news/announcement feature in the admin screen. Right next to the list
of installed admin plugins.

Today I thought about how to implement this but couldn't come up with
a satisfactory solution, so instead I'll just give you a list of ideas
and pros/cons

1. add an iframe pointing to a page on our server

+ easy to implement on the admin screen
+ we can redirect the endpoint to whatever we want
- endpoint HTML needs to be custom to make sure all links have correct
target attributes
- ugly error message if the endpoint can not be reached for some reason

2. embed a twitter widget

+ we already have content
+ relatively easy to add
- 3rd party JavaScript
- ugly unless we find a way to add a bunch of custom CSS
- twitter might be blocked in corporate environments

3. use javascript to fill the space

+ result would be directly embedded and inherit all template styles
- same-origin policy makes this hard to implement
  * either we use a local proxy php file which might not work behind firewalls
  * or we pull everything via JSONP or similar techniques which might
pose a slight security risk and add complexity

So what do you guys think?

Andi

PS: Hakan, it might be useful to have some kind of mockup of what kind
of info we'd like to display there.

--
splitbrain.org