[dokuwiki] Re: New release and DokuWiki efficiency improvements + GeSHi output caching

  • From: Andreas Gohr <andi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 20:12:13 +0200

On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 12:31:24 +0100
Chris Smith <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In the light of the upcoming release I am going to try to find time to
> do some profiling of DokuWiki with xdebug looking for bottlenecks and
> speed improvements.

great :-)

I think main bottlenecks are all places which need to extract certain
info from the changelog for metadata. All those occurences should be
ideally replaced with reading info from the new metadata renderer, also
image and backlink references could probably be improved by using
metadata.

> geshi caching...
> For now, I've implemented caching via the code plugin (to be released
> soon), if wanted it could be added to the main codebase.
>
> Some notes on it:
> - although a whole page (potentially) needs to be re-rendered from
> instructions regularly to refresh links, <code> sections should not be
> affected by these changes and can be safely cached.

When I added GeShi I disabled caching because I thought the whole page
is cached anyway, but you are right of course using a fragment cache for
code could indeed be useful.

So feel free to send a patch for the main code.

Andi

PS: I'm still working on the installer changes and hope to opush a patch
today or maybe tomorrow - please everybody: keep your hands off it ;-)