[dokuwiki] New Start

  • From: "Chip Dunning" <chip.dunning@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 22:04:51 -0400

Very new not just to dokuwiki, but to wiki's in general.

I am trying to use dokuwiki from my various role-playing games
(background, history, rules, etc.) and I am having difficulty making
the mental transition from a combination of PDFs and HTML pages.

The problem is that many of my PDFs span 25-30 pages covering a single
topic. Obviously a single wiki page that long would seem to be a
nightmare. Breaking it up seems proper, but then I am left trying to
figure out the best naming scheme (combination of namespaces and
pagename).

Ex:

Continent = broken up by sub-sections: Bronze Sea, Western Realms,
Eastern Jewels, Northern Snows, etc.
Kingdom = broken up by information: History, Resources, Religion,
Government, Military, Sub-Domains, etc.
Major Area = broken up by town or a single lord's holdings, etc.

Given 5 Continents, 4 sub-areas per continent, 8 nation-states per
sub-area, and about 10 major areas per nation-state. I am trying to
work out the best combination to take advantage of the wiki.

1) Atlas:Continent:Subarea:Nation:Area
2) Atlas:Continent:Subarea:Nation
3) Atlas:Continent:Nation
4) Atlas:Nation

Currently I am leaning towards #3, but I could use some advice if this
is not really the best way to approach namespace:pagenames.

Second, how to break up my large pages. As an example one of my major
kingdoms is written up in a PDF spanning almost 50 pages. There are
subtopics within this document, but I want to make sure that someone
can quickly find relevant information. If they search for Religion -
given that there are over 180 nations each with a religion document it
could return a huge number of results.

I think once I get my mind wrapped around the wiki way of doing things
it will go well for what I want to get out of it, but I really want to
start the best way possible. For that I need to tap some expertise on
this list.

Chip
--
"The reason the mainstream is considered a stream is because it's so
shallow" --George Carlin