[dokuwiki] Re: New Headline Buttons - Draft

  • From: Matthias Grimm <matthiasgrimm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2009 11:14:16 +0200

On Fri, 04 Sep 2009 00:32:59 +0100
Anika Henke <anika@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  From the design point of view: very nice!
Thank you :-)

> I like the second or third draft best. In the first draft you can barely
> see the arrow.

That's the reason I draw draft 3, but the arrow is only a hint and not
the main point here. The focus is on the headline and not on the arrow,
would you agree?

> But there is still something confusing in drafts 1 - 3: The icons
> suggest that some kind of indention will take place. Although, this is
> true to say for the default template, it is only a "side effect" and not
> 100% what headlines are about.

Usually we use well known pictures for icons. If you could tell me what
exactly headlines are about, I could choose a picture that fits better?

> The two disadvantages here are:
> 1. User might mistake them for buttons only for indenting text.
> 2. Users might be confused when their template doesn't indent the sections.
> The second point is probably not that relevant as indention can also be
> just a symbol for "lower level".

You are completely right but I don't see this points very critically.
The buttons should show that the structure level can be increased or
decreased. Because paragraphs of lower structure level usually (but
not always as you already stated) are indented somehow, indention is
a common picture for the structure level. Most users know this already
from their word processor.

I just got another thought: In the western world we write from left to
right and therefore the more important things stand left and the more
right they stand the less important they are. The idention is therefore
a picture for importance ranking, too. You use this picture with lists as
well. But I don't know how people see this who write from right to left
or top to down. Maybe my icons will confuse them?

The picture with the "H" is not very common. I had to tell all my users that
this are the "Headlines" for a paragraph. Nobody of them is a web designer
and know HTML and the HTML syntax for headlines (H1, H2, ...). Nevertheless
I could try to improve my draft No 4, if the majority here would like to see
it?

Are there any other pictures we can use?

 Regards
   Matthias

PS: Sorry for the long text.