[dokuwiki] Re: GPL for plugins a must?

  • From: Andreas Gohr <andi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2011 11:15:55 +0200

>> Just a quick question: Do Dokuwiki plugins have to be released under
>> the GPL? I personally like the new BSD-license better and the skeleton
>> generator produced some GPL text and I'm wondering, if I could change
>> that.
>
> According to http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#ModifiedBSD
> the Free Software Foundation considers the new BSD-license to be
> GPL-compatible.

That means that you can include BSD code in GPL software, not the
other way round.

> And again according to this FAQ entry at
> http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLAndPlugins GPL-compatible
> licenses are okay for plugins of GPL-software (but maybe "the terms of
> the GPL must be followed when those plug-ins are distributed" restricts
> that again?).

That doesn't make any sense to me. If you make use of GPL code in your
software (as you do in a Plugin that makes use of DokuWiki's GPL'd
plugin mechanisms) then you have to distribute your code under the
terms of the GPL. Choosing a different license, even if it is more
free, is not possible.

So, INAL but I think plugins (and templates) have to be GPL 2.

splitbrain.org