[dokuwiki] Re: Farm plugin release

  • From: Anika Henke <anika@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2010 13:10:55 +0000

Hi,

Etienne MELEARD wrote:
I just released the first version of the FARM PLUGIN !

Check it out at http://www.dokuwiki.org/plugin:farm

Wow, I only had a brief look, but this looks massive and like a very good beginning.

I have a few suggestions / questions / bug reports:

1. The biggest issue for me is that this plugin *rewrites everything* under the folder in which DokuWiki is installed. Even if it's not doing anything evil, the level of trust I need to have for any software that seems to "destroy" my folders without a warning or explaining it, is too big. Although plugin:farm clearly states "You'd better install it in a new wiki with no content as it speeds up setup and as reverting from farm transformation isn't easy.", there will be a lot of users *not* reading it. And as far as I know this rewriting is also completely unnecessary and the plugin could also work without doing it. Or is there a reason for doing it which I overlooked?

2. The plugin is also still not completely working for me:
* Opening http://foo.bar/wiki/farmer/?animal=animaltemplate redirects to http://foo.bar/wiki/farmer/doku.php
* And trying to add a new animal fails and leads to the following error:
------------------------------
Warning: preg_replace() [function.preg-replace]: Unknown modifier 'g' in W:\www\dokuwiki-2009-12-25\farmer\lib\plugins\farm\animal.class.php on line 612

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at W:\www\dokuwiki-2009-12-25\farmer\lib\plugins\farm\animal.class.php:612) in W:\www\dokuwiki-2009-12-25\farmer\inc\actions.php on line 163
Errors encountered while performing required operations

    * AnimalID parameter not found
I tested on: Apache/2.0.59 (Win32) DAV/2 PHP/5.2.3 and the latest DokuWiki release.

3. It seems the plugin only supports the .htaccess-based setup. If that's true, it should be clearly stated somewhere on the plugin's page.

4. Is there a reason for not using DokuWiki's native configuration system?

5. And finally, there are too many files in the "animaltemplate" (as you're not using the $config_cascade). That means that updating the farm will be more difficult as you'd have to update the core conf files of every single animal as well ...

Many thanks for tackling this massive task,
Anika