[dokuwiki] DokuWiki Unittesting

  • From: Andreas Gohr <andi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 00:13:55 +0200

Hi all!

Harry Fuecks suggested to use Unit-Testing for DokuWiki and after some
thought I agreed with him. He provided a framework for easy test writing
and I already added a few tests.

Unit testing allows us to automatically test the behavior of singular
DokuWiki parts. I think Harry can explain the why of testing much better
(Harry could you give a short intro to the list?)...

Fact is it is useful and will help to make DokuWiki much better and
safer (eg. it can avoid things like the Security Bug discovered today).

But to make the whole testing thing really useful we need much more
tests. Harry wrote a little introduction on how to write tests for
DokuWiki at http://wiki.splitbrain.org/wiki:unittesting - everyone
contributing to DokuWiki should read it. People who want to help: please
write tests.

Anyone who submits bugs and bugfixes: add a test which's failing
demonstrates the bug. Jan: I got your patch today - would be great if
you could write the according test as well.

I'm thinking about offering a small bounty for test writing (from
donations I got over the last months)... something along a Dollar per
tested function or something... write a few tests and I buy you
a beer - nothing official yet ;-) I'd love to get your thoughts on this.