[dokuwiki] Beautiful tree styles for the Site Map and the like

  • From: "Zen-Do.Ru" <admin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2018 18:39:59 +0300

Good health to everybody :)!

We often have a nested list on a web page.
For example, we view the list of pages and namespaces in the Site Map. (?do=index)
We have similar nested lists in some navigation plugins, like simplenavi.

And, you know, it's possible to draw them as beautiful trees - with lines and icons - purely with CSS.
Here is one such attempt. Picture:

https://github.com/chang-zhao/dokuwiki-tree/blob/master/tree.png

How would the Site Map change:

https://github.com/chang-zhao/dokuwiki-tree/blob/master/dw-tree-css.png

Code:

https://github.com/chang-zhao/dokuwiki-tree/blob/master/idx-tree.css

It's a simple CSS file, with three tiny inline SVG's - in total, ~1kb minified and gzipped.
So it doesn't have any noticeable effect on the page performance.

I propose template authors and plugin authors to consider using this CSS.
And it's possible to make the styling optional (like, with a checkbox in config).

I think, for templates it's good to have many configurable options. It helps people to explore and experiment.
At home I have a template derived from the default DokuWiki, but it's hard to recognize that; though it's possible to switch a dozen of config options and turn it back to the default look.

Currently I have some (little) time to work on my own site, with GUI etc., and alongside I could help with these CSS.
It might be good to improve DokuWiki this way.

Good day and good conditions for all living beings!

Alex Constant Illumination (Chang Zhao)