[directmusic] Re: directmusic Digest V4 #2 : Flash => DirectMusic

  • From: "Andrew Clark" <andrewclarkis@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: directmusic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 14:42:17 -0500

Hey,

If you want to use DirectMusic on the web, I think you're currently SOL.

However...

You _can_ use a Flash OCX component in a .NET Windows application, and set
up simple two-way communication back and forth between a host Windows app
and Actionscript.

http://www.macromedia.com/devnet/mx/flash/articles/flash_vb.pdf
http://www.macromedia.com/devnet/mx/flash/articles/stock_history03.html

I am using this technique to create graphically interesting, dynamic
real-time CD-ROM examples for a book I am writing on adaptive music
composition. The music engine that ships with the book will allow
Actionscript saavy readers to swap in their own .swf files and DirectMusic
content, and demo quite sophisticated SWF_EVENT => DM_EVENT and DM_EVENT =>
DM_EVENT relationship mapping using a simple, portable messaging system.

If people want, I can check with my publisher wrt specific release details I
am allowed to post, and set up a mailing list URL for those interested in
book news updates.

Cheers,
Andrew