[directmusic] Re: Play motif with script

  • From: "William A Slabbekoorn" <cybarber@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <directmusic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 02:24:27 +0200

Embellishments
To finish things off for this introduction to styles, let's briefly discuss
embellishments. As an example, when your character defeats a bad guy, you
want to keep the same groove level, but you want a musical flourish that's
appropriate to that groove level. Here's where embellishments can come in
handy. You designate a pattern to be a specific embellishment, and then it
is only chosen when the application or script requests that kind of
embellishment. If multiple patterns match a specific embellishment at a
specific groove level, all of the above parameters are used to try to choose
the best one.

  Note   Don't confuse embellishments with motifs. Motifs are patterns that
play as secondary segments on top of the primary segment; embellishments are
patterns that play as part of the main musical sequence, usually in a
primary segment. Motifs are always explicitly selected by the application;
embellishments are selected by the DirectMusic performance.
Embellishments are commonly used as introductions and endings. This behavior
could be replicated using separate segment files. However, from the
developer's point of view, it is somewhat simpler to cue one new segment
rather than two or three. In an audio script, you can easily trigger
embellishments during a transition by using the PlayIntro, PlayEnd, or
PlayEndAndIntro flag in the call to Segment.Play. It's a bit more
complicated for the application developer, who has to use the
IDirectMusicComposer8::AutoTransition method.

You can also call for an embellishment directly in your segment's groove
track if you wish. Notice that the Groove Level Properties window contains a
list of the various embellishment types where you can choose the one you
wish to use. As usual, if no patterns are found for that embellishment, a
pattern will be chosen at random.

quote from:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dnmusic/html/dmp_styles.asp