[directmusic] Re: MP3 encoded wav tracks, a pain in the neck..

  • From: "Scott Morgan" <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <directmusic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2003 11:59:26 -0600

btw- I once tried to do a very wav track oriented project (beginning of
2001).  I came to the conclusion that wave tracks are too buggy and
problematic to use in any way that makes the music dependant on the wavs
working.

Here are some of the things that kill it for me:

1. The lack of an easy way to implement crossfading.
2. The fact that if there is any tiny glitch, midi and wav get out of sync
until a new wave is triggered.  This can mean the music sounds horrible for
a long time.
3. There were bugs in DX8 that made waves simply not play in certain
situations.  It wasn't until I started working at MS that I finally figured
these bugs out...
4. The wavs take up too much disk space.  I'm using ADPCM since MP3 doesn't
have as much support in DX8.

So in the game I am working on now, the only time I use a wav is for a very
rhythmically free flute melody that doesn't really need to be there at all
times.  If it gets out of sync I don't care because the nature of the music
is more timbre based and works at any point you place it at.

Ice_Planet (my first DMDemo) replaced the originl wave project I tried to
create.  IcePlanet has one wave track with a single guitar chord in it.

-Scott Morgan
http://Morganstudios.com