[directmusic] Band tracks

  • From: "Saul Bottcher" <saul.bottcher@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <directmusic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 13:50:33 -0500

Todor:

    Note - this is with reference to disk size only, but I assume the RAM
consumption would be quite similar.
    In a test I did today, the Band in question has 29 PChannels, with
numbers up to 58 (so there are "blanks" if that matters).  The segment
itself is 27.7KB with the band, and 21.2KB without, so it seems to be about
6.5KB for that band.  In my experience it's been about 6KB-8KB each.
    Of course that seems insignificant at first, but each piece contains
about 250 segments, which works out to 1.5MB+.  Since we did no dynamic
problem.  (Thankfully, the developer created a hack so the band tracks could
be eliminated).

Jason:

> Yes, there is. Make a secondary segment with a band in it,
> and include this secondary segment in your segments as a
> segment trigger trak..

    That may achieve similar ends, but it isn't the same thing.  Call me
nit-picky, but I want to right-drag a band onto my band track and get a menu
reading "(C)opy | (R)eference".  I just don't see a reason why bands
shouldn't be referencable, when something equally complex like a pattern
*can* be, using linking.  The more universal the behaviours of the entities
in DMProducer, the easier a tool it becomes to learn and work with.

    Saul.