[DZR] OT: Ostensible input capability in Sonar

  • From: George <pcmcia_99@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: directixer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 05:51:32 -0700 (PDT)

Sorry for a (somewhat) OT post guys, but I couldn't
get a convincing answer elswhere. Seeing as there are
competent Sonar users here I'd like to try my luck.
OK, here goes:

I start a new Sonar project, insert a synth (for
example, DR-008), insert a new blank audio track, and
among its input options I see  5 choices for DR-008
DXi2. However, when I select any of them the record
arm button (R) grays out, which means I can't record
any of the synth outputs.
OK, I know the standard practice is to record midi
first and then bounce the track, but I still wonder
why Sonar shows these options but prohibits recording.
Is this a limitation of Sonar, Delta drivers, Windows
or PC architecture in general? Does it mean that sound
in a PC cannot be synthesized and recorded
simultaneously? What about other software/hardware
platforms?

My system:
P4, 512 Mb RAM, Audiophile 2496 (the latest drivers),
SBLive (audio disabled)
Win2k, Sonar 2.0, an assortment of DXi/VSTi soft
synths, DirectiXer 2.2

Thanks in advance.
George