[Deque Ramp PE Beta] Framesets

  • From: Terence de Giere <tdegiere@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: deque-rpebeta@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 16:31:52 -0400

Framesets

Ramp PE seemed to handle frames OK. I recall that SSB Technologies'
InFocus recommended a NOFRAMES section in 508 mode even though it is not
specified in the Section 508 rules. One problem with the Section 508
rules is it seems directed to Federal employees rather than the Web at
large, and on the Web at large there is more likely to be a wider range
of older technologies being used, although browsers that do not support
frames in some way are very rare these days.

It could be suggested that a NOFRAMES section be added for 508, even
though it is not legally required. Another couple general suggestions
for frames are:

1. The frame NAME (not the required TITLE attribute) also be
human-readable because some technologies do not read the TITLE but do
read the NAME attribute. Names like frame1 or xyz1123 don't work well
for telling a user what kind of content is in the frame. It may not
always be necessary to read the longdesc file if it is available if the
name and title attributes are clear. The name attribute cannot have spaces.

2. It is not clear from the remediation instructions that the frame
description refers to the LONGDESC attribute which is a link to a
description file. As this release is aimed at students, I have observed
that persons unfamiliar with accessibility have often incorrectly put
the description itself in the LONGDESC attribute; and I made the same
mistake the first time I did this many years ago.

While this is properly explained in the c010108.html file linked from
the summary of violations page, just saying "Missing longdesc
description file for Frame" instead of just "Missing description for
Frame" in the summary line provides more useful feedback immediately.
Ramp PE does seem to check for valid relative or absolute links here. It
also tagged my mistakenly putting in a description instead of a URL as
an error. It did not accept longdesc="" or longdesc=" ". If the URL was
there *but the file it referred to was not*, Ramp PE beta mistakenly
gave an OK, and did not report an error, assuming if the filename was
there so was the file it referred to (I renamed the longdesc file to
see what would happen).

Ramp handled framesets very well. Note that only the W3C HTML 4.0/4.01
Frameset DTD, and the XHTML 1.0 Frameset DTDs support frames of all the
official HTML specifications (HTML versions 2.0, 3.2, 4.0/4.01, ISO
15445:2000 HTML, XHTML 1.0, XHTML Basic, XHTML 1.1). This becomes
important if WCAG Priority 2 or 3 is to be implemented. All HTML DTDs
for pages that display in frames except for HTML 4.0/4.01 Transitional
and XHTML 1.0 Loose do not support the TARGET attribute necessary to
display pages in frames when accessed from a link.