[ DeLUG ] :: Re: Fwd: [AzPHP] Meeting Tomorrow (3/22): Robust Interfaces

  • From: "Janet Morrison-E" <janetme@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <delug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 20:03:17 -0700

David,
Keep me informed on the IEEE thing.  I'll help out but I don't know when
we will be meeting.
Janet

Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they
don't want, to impress people they don't like.
               -- Will Smith

From: Eric Thelin <eric@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 18:24:58 -0700 (MST)
Subject: [AzPHP] Meeting Tomorrow (3/22): Robust Interfaces
To: azphp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: madair@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Once again tomorrow is the Fourth Tuesday so we will have our regularly
scheduled meeting at Walt's TV @7:00.  For directions see www.azphp.org.

Topic:
Implementing a robust wizard-like user interface.

Handling complex transactions (ordering big ticket items with
multiple configuration options, car insurance forms, vacation
reservations, etc.) can be problematic, requiring long and many times
confusing forms.  Implementing a Wizard type interface with multiple
screens requesting small chunks of information can help.  But it can
lead to a strict information entry sequence, and problems if some
information is already "on-file", but incorrect.  Add to that a business
user's desire to perform multiple transactions at the same time or
temporarily break out of an existing transaction to update other data,
and you have a programming nightmare.

We'll talk about a methodology to track the context of each page sent to
a user's browser and how to track and handle multiple user requests
while maintaining a simple, easy to navigate user interface.

We'll also review some programming tips & tricks, plus issues
implementing OOP in the PHP 5 interpreted environment.

.dh