[ DeLUG ] :: Presentation ideas..

  • From: Andrew Replogle <andrew.replogle@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: delug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 13:24:33 -0700

Ok,

Everyone!  What do you want to learn?? We have a lot of talented
people within the group and I think we all have our niches.. But we
need to come together to be more effective..

What we need from everyone:

1.) What do *YOU* want to learn about:

Personally I can present on anything with enough preperation.. but I
don't want to stand in front of a bunch of people and talk about
something disinteresting. I'd much rather peak interest and present on
stuff that people have been trying to figure out.. or have been
curious about.. "I've always wondered how to do bandwidth control with
a linux router" and such.. *Please* give us feedback if you have stuff
you want to learn.. we want to know! This can be comminicated in the
forums (http://www.devrylinux.org/Forums/delug/) or via this mailing
list!  IRC is ok too in addition to one of the above.. but its always
better to have it recorded somewhere.

2.) What do you know?:

Do you have a specialty or just learn something really cool that other
people may like? You don't have to be a pro in something to present on
it. For example, recently I learned about pam (pluggable
authentication modules) and how to login with a usb thumb drive.. I
think someone else may want to learn how to do this..  I may do a
presentation in the near future!

3.) Who do you know?

Some or many of us have closet geek friends (or outgoing ) that are
brilliant people and know many things or one thing really well.. If
you know one of these people, politely as him/her if they would like
to educate fellow geeks and non-geeks and the community in general.
See if they wouldn't mind putting something together.

4.) Respect the presenters.

<soapbox>

Finally.. *Please* *Please* *Please* Do NOT talk during people's
presentations.. Unless it's interacting with the presentation (ie.
questions, applause, yoga etc). It is SOOO Rude.. and I feel bad for
even having to throw this out there, but EVERY presentation there's
usually someone whispering to someone else, or telling a joke or
rudely interrupting. *DON'T*

Keep in mind that the people who are presenting don't get paid
ANYTHING and re doing so out of the kindness of their hearts. (lookup
altruistic)

So please just be attentive. Being up in front of people ( especially
when its people you don't know) giving a presentation is hard enough.
But you start to feel really bad when people start whispering or
giggling like little school girls..

</soapbox>

Thanks everyone for making DeLUG the cool group it has become. I
personally enjoy the level  of diversification we have and would love
to see more. I hope you do to.

Andrew