[delphizip] Re: zip file corrupted.

  • From: RPeters <rpeters@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: delphizip@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 02 Apr 2009 18:15:46 +1100

Edwin Yip wrote:
> Hi All,
> One of the users reported a zip file corruption error, he did not save the
> error message. The zip file is located at a network drive.
>
> I did not use the AddSafe option, do you think adding that option will solve
> the problem? Can anybody list the possible causes of a zip corruption?
>
> Any comments will be appreciated.

Of course it depends upon what it was doing at the time.

1. Upon opening a zip (list, extract or preparing to add) it commonly is
   1a. zip was built in a way ZipMaster could not understand.
   1b. previous add/edit zip failed.
   1c. the zip has been corrupted in storage/transfer
  (1d.trapped by AntiVirus).

2. After Add/Edit (AddSafe helps with Adding extra files)
   2a. operation cancelled.
   2b. write fails.
   2c. operation fails for some other reason.

I would be very wary of building, or adding to, a zip with the
destination on a network drive but AddSafe helps by building it locally
(assuming the tempDir is not set on a Network drive) then copying it
across the network.
Building a zip requires bidirectional seeking and random writes which
also makes doing it across a network is at best slow.
Russell Peters