[delphizip] multibyte chars, unicode zip formats, BZip2, Deflate64

  • From: "James Turner" <james.d.h.turner@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <delphizip@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2002 10:48:39 +0100

Russell,

MULTIBYTE CHARS, ETC
This linking problem that you talk about is totally outside my experience,
knowledge and understanding. However, I believe that so far as translations
of message is concerned, there should not be a problem unless you are
constructing complex messages from parts or substituting parameters into
strings. If necessary, I can help with code to solve these sorts of
problems, but in point of fact, Delphi is fairly helpful in this area.

QUESTIONS : UNICODE, DEFLATE64, BZIP2
Does anyone know if there is a unicode standard for zip archives? I did a
quick search with Google but only found one slightly informative hit being
http://www.xceedzip.com/ This mentions the ability to store unicode file
names in the zip archive. This site also talks about a new compression
method called BZip2. Does anyone know anything about this? I've heard of
Deflate64 - does this mean that there are now two zip formats that we cannot
read?