[deanowens] Dean Owens Summer Newsletter 2011

  • From: Dean Owens <dean.owens4@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: deanowens@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2011 12:48:49 +0100

Dean Owens Newsletter Summer 2011

Hi there.

I just wanted to let you know what’s been going on in my world recently and
about some up-coming shows.

I’ve been doing some more work on my New York recordings.  The fantastic James
(Hags) Haggerty has been adding bass to a couple of songs. Hags has worked with
tons of people and has been a regular on the albums of singer-songwriter Josh
Rouse. He also regularly plays with John Stirratt and Pat Sansone of Wilco in
their side project The Autumn Defense.  He’s been one of my favourite bass
players for sometime and it’s great to have him on the new record. I’ve also
had keyboard player Jen Gunderman adding some keys to some tracks. Jen played
keyboards on Whisky Hearts. It’s brilliant to have her involved in this one
too. Guitar player Audley Freed added some guitar to one song. Audley has
worked with the likes of The Black Crowes and Jakob Dylan among many others.
The new album is finally taking shape and the recordings are not too far off
completion.

On August 27th I will be doing a special Edinburgh Festival show with The
Erskine Strings at Douglas Robertson’s Photography Studio. This is a new
project I’m involved in with members of the Erskine String Quartet from
Glasgow. I’m really excited about this project.  This will be our very first
time performing together. I’ve been working closely with violin player Aaron
McGregor on some arrangements of both old and new material.  As ever with
concerts at Douglas’s place numbers are limited so if you’d like to attend this
concert then please let me know asap. It’s £10 per person. Hope you can make it
along to the show. You can find our more about The Erskine Quartet by visiting
www.erskinequartet.com

Before this show I’m at Perth Theatre on Saturday 23rd July opening for Iris
Dement as part of the Southern Fried Festival. Please note that this is an
afternoon show. Check out www.southernfriedfestival.co.uk for details and
tickets. Plus I’m helping out my old mate Stuart Nisbet with his pedal steel
workshop on the morning of Friday 22nd. Should be interesting and fun.

I now have some Whisky Hearts LP’s for sale. These come in red vinyl with a
gatefold sleeve. You also get a free copy of the cd. If you would like to get
hold of a copy just drop me a line. They are £15 each plus postage.

As you may know from my earlier newsletter I am hosting a songwriting workshop
- 3 Chords, The Truth & A Bunch Of Lies out in Chania, Crete at the Artemis
Apartments resort at the beginning of September. Details of this week long
event are up on the homepage of my website www.deanowens.com  If you’ve any
questions about this please just drop me a line. It should be a great week of
music out in the Greek sunshine. To check out the Artemis resort and get
apartment prices etc visit www.akrotirivillas.com Hope you can join me.

I’ve just started work on an album of Johnny Cash songs that I hope to bring
out next year. I’ve wanted to do this for ages so it’s good to be finally
getting round to it. I’m having a lot of fun working on some of my favourite JC
songs.  The ones I’ve chosen to record were not all necessarily written by him,
but are songs that he made his own. It’s been great working at Elba Studios in
Glasgow and it was fantastic to be recording with my old mate Kevin McGuire
again. It’s very early days on this project so I’ll keep you posted on how it
all develops.

I’ve had a great response to my Song Of The Week video feature. Please keep
your requests coming. Here’s the most recent one - Sand In My Shoes -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umyTegEMRv4   and also a great little video from
my friend Will Kimbrough who featured Man From Leith in his Lick Of The Day
feature  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1JFHw0dK40

Well that’s it for now.

I’m still looking for people to get involved in the new album so please check
out the Be Part Of The Album link on my website if you haven’t already. Your
support is much appreciated.

I hope you have a great summer and that the sun shines on you wherever you are.

All the best

Dean

www.deanowens.com