[ddots-l] Re: windows 7, because it will effect all of us at some point

  • From: "Loren Cove" <art-star@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2008 09:57:03 -0800

Comments from some deep accessibility questioners on oddly slanted Windows 7
engineering developments.
L-1

re: Accessibility in Windows 7

What I would like to see is Microsoft address one of the major complaints from
the Beta's Vista, the ability to move and edit the tool bars, address bars,
icon bars, menu bar.  For the life of me I can't not understand why Microsoft
still puts up a wall when it come to this small aspect of the UI. It was
and is still a major complaint by many, Microsoft ignored it in the beta's of
Vista and still to this day has continued to ignore this simple and modest
request. Come on Windows Seven team, stop locking down the UI, is really that
difficult to add a few lines of code back in to Windows? Will it really hurt
the operating system to allow users a choice? It such a simple request, Windows
Seven team, Why can't you do it????? so disappointing, so very very
disappointing....

Friday, December 05, 2008 12:12 PM by
Eghost
#
re: Accessibility in Windows 7

I'll assume you've carefully thought through all of the implications of UI
Automation. Sounds to me like a potential avenue for malware to exploit this
API.

I'm not a user that needs this functionality, but I see it as very important
for MS to think really hard about this. If you can make it easier for someone
with a limitation, its going to make it easier for all the rest of us as well.
I understand the desire to have multi-key press activation of commands (Win
+ X key), but surely this has to be very difficult for people with limited hand
dexterity or only a single usable digit. This may also be a problem with
multi-touch on touch screens. Maybe some thought needs to be given to
gesture-type interfaces (I've seen some stuff with cameras that follow hand
movements),
as well as the speech interface. Thinking about how these things might be used,
even if the functionality isn't there built into the OS, may lead you to
some new ideas.

Please make sure you have as many physically-challenged users as possible on
your usability review teams. I'm constantly surprised by the enterprising and
innovative ways people have of overcoming their limitations, and finding a way
to get stuff done. They come up with ideas that us able-bodied folks don't
and for good reason they're passionate about it.

Friday, December 05, 2008 12:29 PM by
burgesjl
#
re: Accessibility in Windows 7

@Eghost

I think removing the ability to totally customize the toolbars in explorer was
done on purpose.  It makes it easier to support the software if you know
someone hasn't hidden or squished the address and search bars down to nothing.
You might just want to suggest what icon you need to be quickly accessible.

Sent: Thursday, December 04, 2008 5:35 AM
  Subject: [ddots-l] windows 7, because it will effect all of us at some point

  11) And here is an article from Microsoft about the accessibility planned for
Windows 7.
  http://blogs.msdn.com/e7/archive/2008/11/30/accessibility-in-windows-7.aspx