[ddots-l] still a bit confused about midi problem

  • From: Scott Lawlor <sklawlor@xxxxxxx>
  • To: ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2010 15:42:28 -0500

Hi.

I'm wondering if someone can help me out with this message I received.

He says to try entering bank and patch change info manually into the DAW and I'm not sure how this works.

Here's the reply from Kurzweil along with my original note explaining what the problem was.

Thanks for any clarification you guys can provide. I'm sure I'll get this midi stuff eventually.

Scott

Message follows:

KURZWEIL
Operational Tech Support

Hi Scott

The issue is likely the instrument definition itself (or perhaps settings in Sonar too), though I cannot say for certain. I can say the following is how the PC3 defaults to receiving Bank + Program Change info. Some manual tests should verify things.

1_ by default, the PC3 uses MIDI Bank message cc#32 (aka bank LSB) value = 0-127, to send/receive bank info (just leave the BankSelect parameter on its default, Ctl 0/32)

2_ following the bank message a standard program change can be sent 0-127 depending on the patch in that bank you are after

Here is the MIDI Bank break down in the PC3:

Bank 0 = Base 1
Bank 1 = Base 2
Bank 2 = Classic Keys
Bank 3 = Orchestra
Bank 4 = Strings
Bank 5 = Expansion 1 (future use)
Bank 6 = Expansion 2 (future use)
Bank 7 = KB3 (some GM drum sets and VA1 stuff as well)
Bank 8 = User A
Bank 9 = User B
Bank 10 on up = User C on up respectively

If you look in the top beam of the Program Mode display, you will note the Bank Name followed by a colon and corresponding Program number. This makes it easy to identify what MIDI bank and Program number needs to be sent to select any given program.

Some examples:

Ex 1.

You want to call up #465 Solo Tuba - top beam of the screen shows "Orchestra:81"
In your DAW, you enter Bank (cc32) = 3, program #=81.

Ex. 2

You want to call up #1001 Prophet V Sync Ld - top beam of the screen shows "KB3:105"
In your DAW, you enter Bank (cc32) = 7, program #=105.

Give that a shot and let me know if you need further assistance. I am here to help.

Best Regards,
--
Jean Robert Bellefeuille
Manager of Technical and Customer Support

On Jun 14, 2010, at 6:53 PM, Scott Lawlor wrote:

Hi.

I am the proud owner of a new pc3 workstation and I had a couple of questions about the unit.

I read the Kurzweil forum on sonic matter a good deal so I've done a good bit of research into this purchasing decision.

Also, I'd like to register so can you confirm that the model number is the one that has pc3 in it so I put the correct information in the registration form/

Here's the midi situation that I'm dealing with.

I use Sonar producer 8 on a windows vista home premium 32-bit system and in my project, I insert a midi track.

I found a set of instrument definitions for Sonar on another forum that are supposed to work with the pc3.

I go to bank patch change in Sonar and tab over to the categories, say classic keys, for instance, and then tab to the list of sounds. When I arrow through the sounds which are displaying correctly on the screen, the sound doesn't actually change in the Kurzweil. I know the usb midi is working because when I hit record in sonar on the midi track and play some notes, they play back on the Kurzweil on whatever sound I have selected on the board itself.

I have midi set to multi with channels set to 32 instead of the default which was 0/32.

I read something about how this needed to be changed because of the order in which midi data is transferred to the board.

Also, with the sound tower software, I can change sounds and setups from the pc and they'll take effect immediately on the unit itself.

I'm very new to midi so I'm not sure if I'm missing a step in this process or not.

Someone indicated on the sonic matter forums that the Kurzweil wasn't as easy to work with midi sequencers as some other boards but I thought I'd check with you guys.

I've heard nothing but stellar things about your support so feel confident that there's a solution out there, it's just not something that's coming to my mind at the moment.

Thanks for the help with these questions.

Scott