[ddots-l] Re: dual system

  • From: Nickus de Vos <bigboy529@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2011 16:56:56 +0200

Hi a dual boot system can work well however I would recommend you
install the windows 7 and the xp on different hard drives. You can
e.g. run your sonar on the windows 7 64 bit where you'll have access
to all your ram and then use your xp on another hard drive for your
every day computer work where you'll have only access to 3 GB ram with
32 bit. If you install the 2 opperating systems in the correct order,
windows will automatically install a boot manager. When you power up
your computer you will then be asked if you want to boot in to xp or
windows 7. Jaws won't speak during this selection so you'll have to
know when to pick. To install: First install windows 7 like you
normally would by booting from the DVD at start up. After the windows
7 install, start up your machine and boot the windows 7, then once
it's running insert your xp CD and install xp, DO NOT INSTALL XP BY
BOOTING FROM DISC AT START UP! By doing this it will install a boot
manager. As I said: if you can: install them on different drives,
install the windows 7 on your largest and fastest drive and format the
drives before installing if you can.