[ddots-l] Re: best freeware drums for electronic/dance/club music?

  • From: "Steve Wicketts" <steve.wicketts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 20:58:31 -0000

Hi Cameron,

Did you take a look at the Groove Synth that came free with Sonar?

There are 909 and 808 drums plus, other classic drum machine samples.

They aren't as punchy as hardware so you need to work on them a little.

If you just wanted say the bass drum sound to sound like the 909 hardware:
1: have one groove synth dedicated to the bass drum.
2: add sonitus EQ and choose preset bass boost.
3: place your cursor one to the right of effects bin so you are on EQ and then
hit application (this will put the next effect in front of the EQ),
4: Go to sonitus Compressor and choose preset Drum destroyer,
 5: place the cursor one to the right of effects bin which will put you on
Compressor, then press application, (this will put the next effect in front of
the Compressor),
6: go to sonitus Gate and choose Default Gate.
The bass drum should now give serious punch and sound something like the
original 909 sound.

Hope this helps.

Steve W