[ddots-l] Re: adding to many highs in a moniter mix?

  • From: Chris Smart <csmart8@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2012 11:25:08 -0500

yes, you might be listening to consumer gear in the car or wherever that have either end of the spectrum boosted. In the old days, this was often a loudness button that compensated for the Fletcher Munson effect.

Anyway, look for bass and treble on whatever consumer gear you're listening on and make sure they are in the middle of their range, usually shown as 0 on the display. Make sure loudness or any other strange enhancer tyep circuit is also not active. Sometimes car stereos, mp3 players etc. have EQ presets named after genres of music, such as pop, rock, jazz etc. Usually, these are a bad idea if you are trying to accurately gauge how your material will translate on that particular gear.

and yes monitors are supposed to sound quite flat. It's impossible to say more without knowing what your monitors are and what they actually sound like. I tend to like to hear things right up to 20K, so I deliberately looked for monitors that had very clear strong tweeters. (Adam A7X's for example).

Also, don't forget that high frequencies are very directional, so if your monitors don't have good dispersion in that area, you will want to make sure the tweaters are at the same heigh t as your ears, and of course be sitting in the sweet spot. I assume you have them set up in the standard nearfield configuration, with your head and each monitor as the corners of an equilateral triangle? That's the standard position for mixing.

Anyway, try making sure the tweeters are at ear height... raise or lower your seat, raise or lower the monitors etc.

Alternatively, check things out on good headphones that definitely go up to 20K.

Or, check on multiple consumer systems, as many as you have available. If a couple of those are overly bright and a couple are darker, try to get your stuff so it sounds good on both. i.e. aim for the middle.

At 07:18 AM 11/27/2012, you wrote:
Hi all, so I have noticed that even when listening to cd's and music
on my moniters they still give a very flat responce when compared to a
cd player or a car stereo. Now I know moniters are supposed to sound
very flat but I would think with regular music that has been mastered
it would sound a little less flat. I notice this most of all with
vocals. There are not allot of highs in allot of these vocals when
there coming through my moniters. And of course thats what you want
but sometimes I find myself wanting to put a little bit more highs in
that acoustic guitar or vocal track because it sounds a little flat.
Maybe its because I'm used to hearing music through stereos? Does
anyone else have this problem sometimes?