[ddots-l] Slate Digital VMR and Eiosis Air EQ: Accessibility Update

  • From: Chris Smart <csmart8@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: midimag@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2014 16:48:06 -0500

Hi folks.

I just had a very productive conversation with Anthony Taglianetti who works for both Slate Digital and Eiosis, and we got quite a few issues sorted out. I'll summarize below. But, he's pretty impressed at our alternate ways of accessing things, and wasn't phased at all with me mucking around in Sonar, with Jaws babbling at him over a Teamviewer connection. I would definitely put him down as an ally!

Eiosis Air EQ:
First, Air EQ version 1.0201 wasn't doing anything in Sonar when I inserted it on a track and adjusted parameters. Anthony reported that the plug-in UI wasn't even visible. He suggested I upgrade to version 1.0216 which came out in the last few days. Not only did that cause the UI to display as expected, but all parameters now work as they should. This awesome new EQ is now entirely useful to us. This issue was happening on older CPU's, such as my AMD quad-core.

Note: All bands come up as "off" when you first load the plug-in. If someone turns them on with a mouse, they then always default to on in future. Also, get someone to hide the analyzer function to conserve some CPU, because believe me, you'll want this EQ on everything. Other than that, all parameters show up in the usual way in Sonar, Reaper etc.

Virtual Mix Rack (VMR):
Currently, since the five plug-ins which comprise VMR, with more to come in future, can only be loaded into the virtual rack on screen, all we can do is stick the whole VMR on a track or bus, not individual modules. The idea of splitting out the individual modules is being discussed, but nobody knows if that will become a reality yet.

If you recall my earlier post about this plug-in, you'll remember that I mentioned an enormous parameter list with very few meaningful names in it. That all changes if someone loads a preset in VMR. As soon as a module goes in a slot in the rack, the parameter names and values populate to meaningful things and we can adjust them our usual ways! Also, no matter what order things are in the rack, their parameters always populate the same items in the parameter list in your DAW. All the controls marked A adjust this module, all the controls marked B adjust another module and only that module, no matter where they are inserted in the virtual rack.

While we can't get at anything in VMR itself, what you can do is get someone to load some presets in VMR itself, and then save them using your DAW's preset functions. Since I usually EQ before compressing, I asked Anthony to create a few presets loading the different EQ's before the different compressors. I also got him to create a preset loading everything, and then I can simply turn off/bypass the modules I don't want. Last but not least, we saved a preset containing just the Revival module, the lovely harmonic enhancer module, so you can load just that and stick it on busses. I saved the presets in Sonar as the usual FXB files, so if you get VMR, you should be able to use these. If you create some with some help, please share! Here are the nine I have, zipped:
https://www.sendspace.com/pro/dl/4oi1bp

Someone will need to do a similar thing with VMR and ProTools.

Eiosis Air EQ is transparent, unusually so at times. The modules in VMR color things a lot, even when you just run signal through them without touching any controls, similar to how the analog hardware being modeled colored things simply by being in the chain. Slate Digital and Eiosis are fast becoming my go-to plug-ins for everything, and I find myself reaching for Waves stuff less and less.

last but not least, I requested that the tape hiss amount slider in Slate Digital VTM be exposed, and he said he'd pass that on to development.

Chris