[ddots-l] Re: Sample Blog Post

  • From: Bobbi Blood <phantomess666@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2012 13:48:13 -0600

Hello Chris,

This post was extremely informative. I would most definitely like to see more of these kinds of posts in the future. One question that comes to mind is about the difference between the definition of mixing and mastering. I am aware that mixing refers to balancing out track levels in a single piece of music so they blend well together, adding compression, EQ etc. I am also aware that mastering refers more to making sure several completed works blend well together into one album. What remains unclear to me is that if you create a piece of music and manage to mix it so that it sounds good as a stand alone piece, wouldn't "mastering" it to fit well with the rest of an album cause some aspects of the original piece to change and therefore not be as good as when it was first mixed?

On a side note, I really need to find some way to train my ears to better hear situations where EQ is needed. It is really frustrating when you know something just doesn't sound quite as full as you'd like it, and you have no idea of where to even start in order to fill things out. Would you or anyone else on this list have any recommendations for decent ear training courses for such things?

Most Sincerely,

Bobbi