[ddots-l] Normalizing Clips

  • From: "Dave Carlson" <dgcarlson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Aug 2009 08:08:01 -0700

Hello Audio Experts,

Using Sonar 7 and CT. I've got about 50 clips that I've collected and  first
used fade -in and fade-out processing, that I want to eventually have all
played in a continuous sequence on a single track. However the overall volume
levels are differnt, since these all come from different CDs and different
masterings. I'd like them all to be fairly close to each other in volume.

Is there a difference in these three scenarios:

1. 50 clips, each on 50 tracks, and compressing or normalizing them after
selecting all the tracks?

- or -
2.  50 clips, all end-to-end on a single track, normalizing or compressing them
after selecting the entire track?

- or -

3. Bounce all clips to a single track as a single clip, and then normalizing or
compressing the track?

What's the difference or benefits to each? Keep in mind that I want to retain
the fade-in and fade-out.

Dave