[ddots-l] Re: Loud Stage

  • From: "Dave Hillebrandt" <dave@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 May 2011 18:34:38 -0400

Hi Doug, , Yes, could sell them for a hearing loss group perhaps.  Well, there
is no doubt that loud music is bad for our hearing but it has been going on
long enough that I don't think it could be considered a fad really. When people
go to a concert, quite often they are going for more than just the music; its
the feeling they get with certain music. There are certainly people who do
listen to some dance music loudly to escape, and I guess it has its place too.
As a guitarist, I can tell you that some electric guitar sounds can't be made
unless the amp is a certain volume to create feedback or a type of sustain and
sometimes there is no real getting around it. Some styles of music are
naturally played quieter than others. However, I was listening to a documentery
the other day on some native African music that is so loud that it is almost
deafening when a bunch of people play morimba style instruments.
You won't have any trouble convincing me to play quietly, but rock music is
meant to be played loud, partly because many forms of it are rebellious and the
volume is all part of the feeling they want to put across. Jazz and classical,
would safely say you won't find it cranked up too loud most of the time. Have
heard some big bands that were pretty darn loud too; squealing trumpets.....
Old Louis could get pretty loud I hear.... No doubt, too much of any kind of
stimulation is not good for us but then that can be a whole new topic as
drinking isn't so great for me but I will enjoy a Crown and coke on occasion or
maybe a pint of a good dark beer..... Dave