[ddots-l] Fwd: [mixingsecretsnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] Mixing Secrets News -- 18/11/2011

  • From: Chris Smart <csmart8@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: midimag@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2011 14:24:48 -0500

I won't forward this more than this one time. If you want to subscribe, you can do so from the Website. I highly recommend the book this is all connected to, called Mixing Secrets for the Small Studio.

Chris

Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2011 12:41:20 +0000 (GMT)
From: Mixing Secrets News <ms@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "mixingsecretsnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <mixingsecretsnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> Subject: [mixingsecretsnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] Mixing Secrets News -- 18/11/2011

Welcome the November edition of Mixing Secrets News, keeping you up to date with ongoing developments to the 'Mixing Secrets For The Small Studio' free mixing online resources at http://www.cambridge-mt.com/ms-intro.htm.

Apologies for the spurious mail a moment ago. I'm still grappling with my mailing-list controls... <sigh> Please ignore the previous mail, as I hadn't double-checked the links and some of them weren't corrent.

Anyway, lots to cover again this month, so I'll crack on without further ado...

-------------------- NEWS HEADLINES --------------------

* 5 new listings added to the 'Mixing Secrets' Free Multitrack Download Library * The full Cockos Reaper Projects for two former Sound On Sound 'Mix Rescue' remixes. * More than 20 additional mix-processing audio examples. * Update about Steinberg Cubase effects-return monitoring. * Useful EQ ear-training link: Quiztones. * New critiques of commercial mixes in 'The Mix Review'.

----------------------- 5 NEW MULTITRACKS -----------------------

Jamie Walker's acoustic country tune 'Love Can Be', recording live in one room, courtesy of the Methods & Applications Laboratory site: http://www.cambridge-mt.com/ms-mtk.htm#JamieWalker

Some electronic dance pop with great female vocals from AM Contra: http://www.cambridge-mt.com/ms-mtk.htm#AMContra

Epic indie rock from The Doppler Shift -- if you liked Zeno's 'Signs', you'll love this: http://www.cambridge-mt.com/ms-mtk.htm#TheDopplerShift

A Coldplay-esque offering from the 'Shaking Through' project, Snowmine's 'Curfews': http://www.cambridge-mt.com/ms-mtk.htm#Snowmine

The Swinging Steaks country-pop song 'Lost My Way', again courtesy of the Methods & Applications Laboratory site: http://www.cambridge-mt.com/ms-mtk.htm#SwingingSteaks

NOTE ABOUT LINKING TO MULTITRACKS: Feel free to link to any of the multitracks in the library for forum mix-offs or educational assignments. However, please do use the 'direct-link URL' alongside the listing title if possible, rather than linking direct to the ZIP files, because otherwise your links will stop working whenever I need to do any reorganisation/rehosting of the files.

--------------------------------------- SOS 'MIX RESCUE' REMIX PROJECTS ---------------------------------------

In response to some interest on the Cockos Reaper forum in particular, I've decided to start making available the full Reaper projects for some of the remixes I've performed for Sound On Sound magazine's regular 'Mix Rescue' column. In addition to the project file and all the audio, I've also included screenshots of all the third-party plug-ins I've used, so that you can still investigate all my settings even if you don't have the same plug-ins as me. So far I've pos ted two of these projects:

Girls Under Glass: 'We Feel Alright' from the November 2010 column: http://www.cambridge-mt.com/ms-mtk_ProjectMR1011.htm

We Fell From The Sky: 'Not You' from the May 2011 column: http://www.cambridge-mt.com/ms-mtk_ProjectMR1105.htm

As with the multitrack library, my plan is to add more of these remix projects over time, but they do take a little while to prepare (especially all the screenshots!), so it's likely to be a steady trickle rather than a flood! :)

------------------------------------------------------- ADDITIONAL MIX-PROCESSING DEMONSTRATIONS -------------------------------------------------------

To the Chapter 6 resources I've added a comparison of stretching and slicing approaches for beat-matching and another example of the impact of timing/tuning correction over a whole mix: http://www.cambridge-mt.com/ms-ch6.htm#audio

To the Chapter 11 resources I've added a new set of audio example demonstrating some applications of pitch-related EQ processing: http://www.cambridge-mt.com/ms-ch11.htm#audio

To the Chapter 13 resources I've added some examples dealing with trouble-shooting unwanted hiss on recordings: http://www.cambridge-mt.com/ms-ch13.htm#audio

To the Chapter 15 resources I've added an advanced processing example dealing with the thorny problem of rebalancing elements within a mixed stereo file, a common occurence when mixing music based around samples of other records: http://www.cambridge-mt.com/ms-ch15.htm#audio

(Incidentally, this month's Sound On Sound magazine cover feature contains lots of additional information about the practicalities of mixing music using samples.)

As usual, if there are any particular processing demonstrations you'd like to hear that aren't yet available on the site, just let me know: http://www.cambridge-mt.com/AboutCMT.htm#contact

I've had a couple of emails from users of Steinberg Cubase alerting me to a better way of soloing effects returns (something that has always seemed very awkward to do): http://www.cambridge-mt.com/ms-ch16.htm#updates

I've just come across a great on-line widget that's great for familiarising yourself with the sounds of different frequency ranges. Although the default tabbed page in the interface tests your knowledge of sinewave pitches, the other tabs are actually much more useful, involving EQ'ed noise, drumkit, and vocal signals. As such, I've added it to the Chapter 11 links here: http://www.cambridge-mt.com/ms-ch11.htm#links

The December edition of The Mix Review has just landed, which includes production critiques of Calvin Harris's 'Bounce', Arctic Monkeys' 'The Hellcat Spangled Shalalala', DJ Fresh's 'Louder', Bon Iver's 'Calgary', and Pitbull's 'Give Me Everything'. You can read these (as well as my 24 previous Mix Review critiques), for free at the following link: http://www.soundonsound.com/mixreview

That's all for now!

Cheers,

Mike Senior.