[ddots-l] Chi's CT 5.28 Review

  • From: "Chi Kim" <ms22282@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <midimag@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2006 09:59:23 -0500

Now I've been making some music with ct 5.2, not just fiddling with basic tracks for quick peak. Here's my review.

Over all, CT got better in terms of stability, but still there are stuff needed to be fixed.

1. Nevigation issue
I don't mind the new way of moving to different rows and colums, but some users report that it's inconvinient. It takes time to get used to it. In my opinion, ct responses to the nevigation command faster than before. However, moving to different tracks sometimes doesn't work, especially if you have a lot of tracks. Jumping to the tracks nearby works ok, but jumping a lot of tracks at once, doesn't work. For example, track 34 to 5. Also, I don't want to press enter to finish. Why can't ct moves to specified row or column when I release ctrl key? Also, is that possible to assign key to make inspecter states; for example, Shift1 for state 1, 2 for state 2, and 3 for state 3, then I don't have to loop around. Bus muting and solo doesn't work while playback or recording. CT said it's soloed or unsoloed, but in reality, it doesn't. Only ct thinks so. If you stop and solo mute, it works, or moves to the button and hit enter.

2. Sluggishness
CT gets stuck little less now,but it's still sluggish. Especially, it gets stuck a lot when I change some values in inspecter pane while playback. There are two requirements for ct to get stuck. First, it likes to get stuck at audio tracks only. Second, it also gets stuck only when there's audio signals; for example, during playback, recording, or when you turn input echo on and play some stuff to confirm your effects or level. When less track is making noise, or there is no audio signal at all, ct gets back to normal. Therefore, the worst case is using inspecter pane in audio track during playback or recording. I suspect it's either related with meter reading, resource status, or plugins. Can the plugins window float around the audio track in track pane or inspecter pane, getting in the way of ct?

3. Scrubbing
Scrubbing function got better, but it's still not as good as I hoped. You need a lot of practice. It works at least somewhat.

4. Meter
Meter reading is still unrelyable. A lot of times I have to stop the playback or recording, show all the meters, and hide the continuous meter. Other wise, CT complains that there's no meter. At least, it doesn't decide randomily. My last post saying that this behavior is only valid for my old project, I take it back. It is still issue for new project. If you go to effects window and come back to tracks pane, or go to another place other than the current audio track, ct says that there's no audio meter.

5. HSC not supported
Hotspot clicker, which is getting really popular for making plugins more accessible, is still not supported.

I wish Dancingdots can fix this fundamental problem first before they move on to other fancy stuff like plugins. Also, saying that people have problems because their system is not a good excuse. I think all the problem I said above is directly related to ct, if not to an certain extent. When a sited user operate my system, they have no problem. If those fundamental problems are not fixed, I suspect that it's going to be constant battle between users and support team. For advertisement, It's good for Dancingdots to announce that they have this and this and that new features, but I think the fundamental things need to be fixed first which is going to impact the users the most. If you make music for fun by yourself, it's not an issue if you have to wait while nevigating trakcs, changing values, and reading meters. However, when you work with other people, it's a different story. Especially it's embarrasing to tell musicians that they have to wait until the music stop, cause ct is stuck. Sometimes, they have to hear the entire song. Or, tell them I have to reboot to make the system more stable which I think it's Jaws issue.

I hope ct can nail down nevigating, reading meter, and scrubbing rock solid stable for sonar 6. Overall, ct made some improvement in my opinion, and the new update is free for the current ct5 users. Also, it's a good news that "When CakeTalking for SONAR 6 is ready, everyone who has a licensed copy of CakeTalking for SONAR 5 will be eligible for a no-cost upgrade to CakeTalking for SONAR 6."
I hope it wasn't too harsh review.

Happy making music!

Chi