[ddots-l] Re: Checking DMA Settings

  • From: "William R. McCann" <BillList1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2006 19:58:39 -0400

Hi, Phil,

Before getting into some details, I want to remind our list that we're
having this discussion with the idea that certain system settings improve
responsiveness for people using their systems to create multi-track sound
recordings.  It's getting a bit techie below but I urge everyone to try to
understand this topic a bit better for the sake of a better result in your
SONAR projects, etc.  I plan to anyway (smile).

You asked:
shouldn't be getting all of those DMA settings.  Question, is this a clean
install on a system?  Was the system in question, installed with ACPI

Windows XP was installed by our supplier of desktop systems who shipped the
machine directly to me.  I subsequently updated it to Windows XP Service
Pack 2.

How can I determine if ACPI is enabled?  Is it possible for a blind user to
read and even modify settings in the BIOS?

Bill