[dd251] NZ Standard for domestic sprinkler systems

  • From: Nick Saunders <NickSaunders@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Dd251@Freelists. Org" <dd251@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 09:07:55 +1200

Just thought I'd make this forum aware that New Zealand is attacking the
fire fatality problem head on by promoting the use of sprinkler systems in
houses.

Much of the work has been targeted at making a system more attractive to
home owners particularly promoting cost effectiveness.

A new standard will soon be published (it is just awaiting approval by
Standards Council) NZS 4517 Fire Sprinkler Systems for Houses.

I am sure there will be major promotions by agencies with respect to these
systems over the coming months.  BRANZ is particularly promoting a
combination system having published a Design Guide for these systems and
will be conducting some courses in sprinkler design for houses in the next
calendar year.

Hope this short round-up of developments down under is of interest to the
forum members.

Regards

Nick

Nick Saunders

Senior Fire Engineer

Building Research Association New Zealand Ltd

Moonshine Road Judgeford Porirua

Private bag 50908

Porirua

Tel: 0064 4 237 1170

Fax: 0064 4 237 1171

mailto: nicksaunders@xxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:nicksaunders@xxxxxxxxxxx>

PLEASE NOTE CHANGE TO CONTACT DETAILS AND AMEND RECORDS.