[dayton-oracle-organizers] new website suggestions

  • From: Catherine Devlin <catherine.devlin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dayton-oracle-organizers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 15:11:58 -0400

Hey, DAY-O organizers...

Matt arranged a very useful meeting a week ago Monday with Sultan from
Oracle support - it looks like we'll have some serious help from
Oracle in the future for publicizing our meetings.  That, I think, is
just what we need to get critical mass going again.  We've also made
some useful contacts regarding sponsorship, etc., so expect some good
discussions upcoming.

One of the first things we need to do, though, is do something about
our website.  I'm sorry, I picked pbwiki in the first place, not
realizing that they would eventually cause trouble - for months, they
had the page blocked with a "give us money" screen.  They don't seem
to be blackmailing us at the moment, but I don't trust them anymore.
In any case, it's not like the pbwiki format was anything glorious to
write home about.

http://dayo.pbwiki.com/

So, before making a major push to get new people signed up, we should
get ourselves a better home on the web.  How should we do it?  My
first two thoughts were

- with an Oracle ApEx site - definitely overkill, but we're Oracle
people, after all!  And that way, the sky's the limit for interactive
content we might want to add later - online registration, for
instance.

- a WordPress site - pretty easy to start with, but possible to make
it sit up and do tricks later on if we want

There might be other, better options, too - which is why I'm writing
you, to get your thoughts.  What do you think?

Thanks!
--
- Catherine
http://catherinedevlin.blogspot.com/