[dayton-oracle-organizers] Re: DAY-O Organizer meeting Invite

  • From: Catherine Devlin <catherine.devlin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dayton-oracle-organizers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2011 10:15:17 -0400

Thursday: yes, I'll be there (though it's also OK with me if we need to
reschedule to get more people).

On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 9:40 AM, Monzon, Carlos O Civ USAF AFRL/RYWD <
Carlos.Monzon@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Ladies and gentlemen,
>
> I need your help: I would like to know if it is possible to have more
> than ONE database in the same server. I do not understand how I could
> have more than one database if the oracle_home and oracle_sid as
> environment variable are only.
>
> Very easy.  ORACLE_SID just specifies the SID to connect to if you don't
specify one when you're connecting.  I've gone months at a time without even
having ORACLE_SID defined, because I always specify my SID explicitly.

sqlplus catherine
goes to ORACLE_SID
sqlplus catherine@db2
goes to the instance with SID DB2

For creating it, you'll probably want to use dbca (database creation
assistant), which asks for the database's name as one of the first steps.

--
- Catherine
http://catherinedevlin.blogspot.com