[softwarelist] Re: OP stylesheets

  • From: Chris <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2008 09:44:14 +0000 (GMT)

> Chris <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes
> >Are OP stylesheets supposed to save printing options?  They seem to
> >save most of the printing dbox information, except for the details of
> >custom thumbnails.
> >
> >When I use one of my stylesheets to start a new document, custom
> >thumbnails is selected, which is correct.  But the details (ie. how
> >many thumbnails and their x- and y-gaps) seem to be carried over from
> >the previous document I editted, not the values used when I saved the
> >stylesheet.  Am I expecting too much?

> Good point. Print formats rely on the ability of scripts to store
> extra information in documents. However Ovation Pro does not know
> about this information, so when creating a stylesheet from a
> document it does not copy it.

> This is not something I've thought about before. On the one hand it
> would be useful for some data (like the above), but on the other it
> would mean new documents created from stylesheets copied over lots of
> junk.

Stylesheets are already selective in what they save, so maybe they
could select just a little bit more?  Eg. x- and y- thumbnail gaps take
a bit of experimenting to get right (the x-gaps for different labels I
use are 2.1mm and 2.7mm respectively) and, since they're tied to their
particular document formats, they seem to be exactly the sort of things
a stylesheet should remember.

> Maybe you could just create an empty document and use it instead of a
> stylesheet.

Yes, that's what I must do, but then what's the point of stylesheets?

Anyway, this isn't a serious criticism - OP is fantastic - but even
something good can sometimes be improved!

Chris.