[softwarelist] Fwd: OvPro 2.77 keyboard problem

  • From: Keith Hopper <asgard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 02 Jun 2008 13:29:37 +1200

Greetings,
     I have recently had to change the keyboard for my Iyonix to a
Microsoft Model 1031 - the only individual one I can get here with a gap to
the left of the 'A' key so we are not continually hitting the Caps Lock key
every time we type an 'a' - very frustrating!

     Since this is a USB keyboard I had a bit of fun setting it up as it
has an "Flock" key which, when disabled changes the key codes issued for F1
to F12.  Using !HID, I eventually cleared the special keys file to be empty
as I couldn't seem to get any of the 'special' keys to do anything anyway -
it is still empty and after 'Instal"ing that I appeared to have no problems
- until out of the blue one day my wife wanted to use OvPro!!

     When she started typing, all kinds of weird characters appeared on the
display - all top bit set but not in a consistent code sequence. Typing top
bit set characters worked fine - they came out as advertised (so to speak).
I then wondered whether the window manager had gone wrong somehow - so
typed F12 - on its own - and, most unexpectedly, up came a TaskWindow from
StrongED. Typing anything into this window was perfect - an 'a' was an 'a'
was an 'a' etc. Indeed typing anything into any other application worked
correctly. Typing F12 on its own was wrong, of course - and I found that
typing Ctrl-F12 brought up the command prompt as F12 alone should have
done.

     Just out of curiosity I loaded the OvnPro which resides on one of the
discs on my other machine (also an Iyonix) - and this worked impeccably.
Unfortunately it wasn't a matter of corruption as, when I copied the OvnPro
from that other machine it went wrong too.

     Quite by chance I thought that it may be something to do with the
keyboard, so I loaded !HID, selected "Install" and, lo and behold, OvnPro
was back to working normally.

     Unfortunately I have no idea how or what was done to cause the change
to weird behaviour. It has happened three or four times over the last week
or so but I have tried almost every key combination that might be hit by
accident and nothing I have tried explicitly changes the behaviour. I have
installed only the latest Netsurf version during this time - and typing
into its windows, like every other application, always works correctly.

     I post this here, since it is only OvPro that seems to be affected
(apart from the F12 key).

     Has anyone else had a similar experience? Do you know what caused it?
Have you found a fix?

     I sit with fingers crossed that some wise soul may be able to
enlighten me.

     Regards,

                    Keith

PS As an aside, has anyone actually been able to get special keys working
on this (to me) new model of keyboard??

--
Inspired!