[dance-tech] Re: dance tech network attacks - Postcolonial dominations and the "superiority" of academic language - the need for TRANSLATIONS

  • From: harmony bench <harmonybench@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dance-tech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 15:55:27 -0700 (PDT)

I feel like the question of language use--academic or
non-academic, post-colonial or neo-colonial,
historically and politically informed or allegedly
unaware, is an important discussion to be having.
Indeed, the posts leading up to Jaime's most recent
one all point in some way to the politics of language.

That said, I think it is important to distinguish (1)
what I hear from Matt (in the earlier
post-choreographic discussion) for an attention and
rigor in the use of terms which have disciplinary and
inter-disciplinary histories--and a real desire to
push those definitions until we have a sense of both
their flexibility and boundaries, from (2) the tone in
which such discussions are carried out--which might
feel aggressive to some readers, from (3) the point
Jeanette raised about speaking as a practitioner, from
(4) Jaime's post-colonial critique of the academy and
academic language as a form of intellectual domination
and advocacy of translation in a transdisciplinary
space.

Perhaps it is only because I have read these posts
more or less together that I see a slippage from one
strand of language criticism to another.

Best,
Harmony

Harmony Bench
Doctoral Candidate, Culture and Performance
UCLA Dept. of World Arts and Cultures

No Cost - Get a month of Blockbuster Total Access now. Sweet deal for Yahoo!
users and friends.