[ctw] Re: Tiger and Activestate

  • From: Robert Wolff <rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ctw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 9 May 2009 13:44:37 -0400

>At 11:21 AM -0400 5/9/09, Robert Wolff wrote:
>>Ok I am really missing the boat on this, I installed Activestate
>>perl version 5.10 but the perl -v still says 5.86.
>>
>>I can see the install is at /usr/local/ActivePerl-5.10, I find a lot
>>of "Make sure to add /usr/local/ActivePerl-5.10/bin to your path."
>>around but I am just not getting this.
>>
>>Any suggestions, in small words.
>>
>>MAC OS X Server 10.4.11
>
>you should be able to get version by
>
>/usr/local/ActivePerl-5.10/perl -v
>
>But of course that means you have to type in the complete path every
>time you want run that perl.  You can make this easier by changing
>your bash profile.
>
>Simplest way is to change your bash profile is to put
>/usr/local/ActivePerl-5.10  as the first directory to be searched but
>that will break my assp startup plist and force you to edit it to
>make it work along with spamdb cron job script.
>
>The alternative is to symlink it to look like the default installed
>perl. The following command
>
>ls -al /usr/bin/perl*
>
>should show you that you have something like /usr/bin/perl and an
>exact copy at /usr/bin/perl_the_default_perl_version. If you do not
>have a copy of your default make one with the mv command.
>
>Now you replace the default with a symlink to your activestate by:
>
>sudo ln -s  /usr/local/ActivePerl-5.10/perl /usr/bin/perl
>
>Now, typing /usr/bin/perl should start activestate and  perl -v will
>give you the activestate version
>
>Tom

That did it, for the perl issue thanks.

I am getting an ASSP startup problem:

May  9 13:31:38 localhost launchd: com.oitc.assp: getgrnam("_assp") failed
May  9 13:31:38 localhost launchd: com.oitc.assp: exited with exit code: 1
May  9 13:31:38 localhost launchd: com.oitc.assp: 9 more failures without
living at least 60 seconds will cause job removal