[cts-newsletters-html] Rip CDs to MP3s/ What Is Webware?

  • From: "Call for Help Daily" <call_for_help_daily@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cts-newsletters-html@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2001 19:13:37 MST

Get back-to-basics:

Call for Help
http://tm0.com/sbct.cgi?s=117655167&i=298145&d=975297
*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*
RIP CDS
Ripping CDs is the process of converting audio tracks to MP3s. Read
this tutorial and start building an MP3 collection of your own:
http://tm0.com/sbct.cgi?s=117655167&i=298145&d=975298

WHAT IS WEBWARE?
Webware: This is any application running directly in your browser.
Usually it doesn't require any special installs -- although small
utility downloads may enhance the webware tool. For Ali's webware
recommendation of the week, visit this page:
http://tm0.com/sbct.cgi?s=117655167&i=298145&d=975299

WINDOWS TIP
How do you open a file up in a program other than the one it's
associated with? Read this tip to learn how.
http://tm0.com/sbct.cgi?s=117655167&i=298145&d=975300

TODAY'S LINKS
Read the Show Notes for all of today's show content:
http://tm0.com/sbct.cgi?s=117655167&i=298145&d=975301

*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*
***************************Advertisement***************************
Memory PC - Memory prices have fallen substantially, and
Outpost.com is passing that savings on to you! With FREE DELIVERY.
OVERNIGHT.
http://tm0.com/sbct.cgi?s=117655167&i=298145&d=975302

*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*
Becky's Show Notes for February 2, 2001...

************
REFRESH RATE FOR LCD
************
Pete from Knoxville, TN writes "When would I use a 60kz setting vs
a 95 kz setting for my lcd monitor. What's the difference?"
LCDs don't refresh the way CRT or regular Desktop monitors do.
Infact, there is no refresh rate.  Even if your display settings
gives you the option to change your refresh rate, it will hav eno
effect for an LCD.
If you want to know how to set the refresh rate on a CRT, check out
this article
http://tm0.com/sbct.cgi?s=117655167&i=298145&d=975303

************
FIREWIRE WEBCAM
************
Yurei  writes "hey guys..... I have a Canon Ultura Digital Camcorder which is
hooked up to my computer
through firewire can i use my camcorder as my webcam and view it on
realtime???"

So far, it's impossible to set up a video camera with FireWire as a
netcam. You
can work around this problem, though, if you use a video capture
card. This
enables the camera to do the digital-to-analog conversion. Just
make sure that your digital camera has an anaolg out.  It will
probably be a small plug that connects to your VCR or TV via an RCA
cable (the white, red, & yellow jacks).
For more on FireWire,
http://tm0.com/sbct.cgi?s=117655167&i=298145&d=975304

One note, the folks at FreshGear offer this suggestion:
"We found a FireWire netcam from ADS Technologies, the Pyro 1394
Web Cam. The FireWire connection offers a much sharper image than comparable USB
cameras, and at 30 frames per second, the video is almost broadcast quality. The
Pyro 1394 Web Cam costs about $140 and is available now."

************
ONLINE BILL PAYING
************
Jay from Macon, Georgia writes:  "Web Bill Pay!!! Is it safe?"
I use an online bill paying service and it's great.  They have
secure servers and I trust the service implicitly.  I review my
bills online at the end of each month which gives me the same
sense of control I have with regular paper bills- only difference,
I can't lose them.
A few services we suggest: Yahoo Bill Pay and PayMyBills.com

*******************
Special thanks to Scott Herriot for hosting the show with me.
As always if you have any questions or comments, email me!

Becky@xxxxxxxxxx

Take care, and It's not your fault!

Beck
*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*
***************************Advertisement***************************

Can't remember where that great Web site was? Now you don't have
to! Access your favorite sites from any computer, anywhere. Click
here!
http://tm0.com/sbct.cgi?s=117655167&i=298145&d=975305

*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*

TIP: If you receive 'Page Not Found' errors when clicking on
newsletter links in Netscape, try cutting and pasting the link into

the address bar.

You are subscribed to this newsletter with the following email address:
cts-newsletters-html@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

If you would like to unsubscribe at any time, please reply to this message with
"UNSUBSCRIBE" in the subject line. Or send an email to:
call_for_help_daily-off@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
If you would like to update your email address visit the TechTV Newsletter hub
at:  http://www.techtv.com/interact/newsletters/.

*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*
CABLE IN THE CLASSROOM
Are you a student with a question about computers? Are you a
teacher who realizes that computers aren't just a passing fad?  If
you answered 'Yes' to either question, then your school could
appear on Call for Help. If kids at your school are into computers,

and need their questions answered, contact us and you may get it
answered on TV! Send all questions to CIC@xxxxxxxxxxx

For more information, please visit our Cable in the Classroom
homepage:
http://tm0.com/sbct.cgi?s=117655167&i=298145&d=975306