[cst_2014_board] Re: FAST Summer Tune Up

  • From: "Andy and Heidi Mechtenberg" <mechtenberg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <cst_2014_board@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2014 16:41:16 -0600

Thanks!

From: cst_2014_board-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:cst_2014_board-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of RENEE OSTERGREN
Sent: Wednesday, April 23, 2014 6:57 PM
To: cst_2014_board@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [cst_2014_board] Re: FAST Summer Tune Up

Nicely done President :-)

Renée

On Apr 23, 2014, at 4:48 PM, Andy and Heidi Mechtenberg
<mechtenberg@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Just to be clear, the new Collindale parent board has signed a coaching
agreement with FAST for coaching services.  This is a contractual agreement
that we have decided to enter into in order to stabilize our team and provide
qualified coaches period.  We are entering into this contract for one year as a
trial.  We are not a FAST “farm” team.  I believe that in at least one past
summer, a FAST coach went to coach for a Horsetooth League team.  We are just
formalizing the relationship.  We are excited about the relationship and if it
works well, could be a model to other teams in the future should they desire to
go that route.  We were very privileged to have Cam and Barry Gentry as coaches
for Collindale for so many years, and we are just trying to regain that
equilibrium.

As to hosted clinics – I have no problem with FAST (or Vortex) holding these –
nor teams having their own.  It seems to be perfectly voluntary with no
obligation to participate. Perhaps there could be a shared clinic between teams
in the future?

As an aside, this was my first year attending the “organizational” meeting
where meets were scheduled between teams.  I know that this has worked in the
past, and I’ve certainly not got any significant insight, however, I found the
meeting to be very chaotic.  I commend the team that developed a matrix as a
scheduling alternative, but it still seemed hard to follow because of the
variety of HOA time and hosting limitations, pool size differences etc. (I had
no idea so I learned a lot!). I’ll just throw this out, but the Horsetooth
League just seems very loosely organized.  As an example, we had questions as
we were developing our new parent board as we tried to insure we weren’t
breaking any Horsetooth League rules, but didn’t know who to contact.  Would
there be any desire/need to create a Horsetooth League Board with
representatives from each team?  I’m not sure this cuts down on the number of
attendees – but perhaps formalizing ourselves more would be a good idea?  Could
this be an avenue to a less chaotic meet scheduling format?

That also being said, only three teams host City Meet.  At the very least it
seems wise to coordinate a subcommittee between those teams to insure that
knowledge gets passed down each year.  I’ll also ask, would there be any desire
of the smaller teams to group together and host City Meet together – at an
agreed-upon pool?  There would be financial benefit to doing so since the City
Meet can bring a team some much needed revenue.  This might give the larger
teams a break on coordinating the massive effort/volunteer coordination that
City Meet takes – though the revenue loss may not be attractive.  I think
everyone desires to have a good City Meet experience for the kids, but it’s
more like controlled chaos for the parents.

Just some thoughts.  I’ve been involved with my kids swimming for 11 years,
with summer club, FAST and high school.  I know there are people out there with
far, far more experience though too.  All our goals are towards kids learning
to swim and compete with good sportsmanship, fun and goodwill.  I am looking
forward to the season and working with you all for the next few years!

Thanks for your time.

-Heidi Mechtenberg

President – Collindale Advisory Parents (CAPs)