[cryptome] Noise As a Unique Identifier.

  • From: doug <douglasrankine2001@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2014 17:50:28 +0000

Hi John,
There were a couple of other things I forgot to mention when you were asking about some advice for the guy who is worried about security and encryption.

The first one is noise signatures. Every piece of electronic equipment has what is called a "noise signature". For instance thermal noise and working noise. Every microprocessor has its own unique noise signature, when it is working and when it is heating up. Modern forensic software can detect it and identify it. I forget where I read it but I am almost certain it was in one of the papers published on Cryptome...if not, a link from that. The second one is the noise which is the hum on the mains electricity frequency. This 50 cycles per second frequency has been used to identify suspects and as evidence to prosecute them. I think the particular case was when someone was using a phone, mobile or landline, I don't know, but law enforcement were able to pick up and amplify the background noise.. Apparently, the phase of the wave form on the mains electricity supply varies during the day and over different parts of the country, all the year round. There are no two places where it is the same. Forget where I found that one too, but there you are, no one is perfec... :-).