[cryptome] Disclosure of donor names: question

  • From: Shelley <shelley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cryptome <cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2015 19:45:32 -0800

Greetings, Cryptomelings.

I saw a post earlier about non-profit status and it made me wonder: if I donate for the archives, will my info remain protected? I've been thinking about doing that so I have an "official" copy to seed.

Until I looked into it, I didn't even know there were different reporting requirements for 501(c)3 orgs. Never thought about it before.

According to these,
http://web.archive.org/web/20151027202128/http://cryptome.org/donations-tax-exempt.jpg

https://apps.irs.gov/app/eos/pub78Search.do?ein1=&names=Cryptome&city=&state=NY&country=US&deductibility=all&dispatchMethod=searchCharities&submitName=Search

Cryptome has to file a 990-PF. It seems that form requires disclosure of names? At least that's what I think
https://www.irs.gov/Charities-&-Non-Profits/Public-Disclosure-and-Availability-of-Exempt-Organizations-Returns-and-Applications:-Requirements-for-Private-Foundations
says.

I'm not all that concerned for myself, but people from all over the world request these archives. They may have very valid reasons for not wanting their names to be disclosed.

John? Can you please clarify and advise?

Thanks,
-Shelley