[affiliate content network] A Case for the Upright Squat

  • From: "Jonathan Gilson" <jon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: crossfit@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 09:30:20 -0400

Hey Gang,

Quite predictably, my video on "Fixing the Squat" engendered some questions
on why CrossFitters strive for an upright torso while squatting.  I posted
my case this morning:

A Case for the Upright Squat
by Jon Gilson, Again Faster

The upright squat—hips under the shoulders, back arched, weight on the
heels—requires tremendous strength, stability, and motor control.  It's
less-than-upright cousin, the powerlifting squat, requires the same,
although it puts the hips behind the shoulders and the torso at a forward
angle.

There is no question that the powerlifting squat allows athletes to move
greater loads.  Simple observation adequately proves this point.  The end
goal of the powerlifter—to put up the biggest total possible—is borne out
again and again using this method.

Nonetheless, my athletes are taught to strive for a perfectly upright torso,
bypassing the weight-bearing advantages of the powerlifting squat.  The
reason is transferability.

Click here to continue reading. (
http://www.againfaster.com/articles/a-case-for-the-upright-squat.html).

If you'd like to post it on your website, go for it!  As always, thanks!

Best,

Jon