[CORBETTLIST] Labrom Reply to Wilentz Op-Ed

  • From: "Moderator" <moderator@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: corbettlist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2014 18:46:53 -0700

I normally don't reply to postings on elections, but
this time I have to put my few cents worth in.

First of all I've "lived under" 6 presidents and it's not just
Martelly who is suffering from protests.
I can predict that every midterm of a President's term
the opposition will start trying to get him out. I've seen it
every single time since I've been here in 17 years.

NO President can turn the country around in 5 years,
let alone the 2.5-3 yrs the opposition normally gives them
before they complain.  Pres. Preval said that, when he was
elected the second time.  He said Haiti's problems cannot
be solved in 25 years not alone 5 yrs!!

Secondly, all the Haitians I speak to - and admittedly they
are part of the employed population - but even those
who are not, say the same - we have all seen more progress
under this President than any other in my time.

Of course the Govt. including the President is probably
not "clean" but then is any leader in a 3rd world or
even 1st world country?!

Thirdly - speaking from my personal viewpoint, as soon as the
opposition see that the country is progressing in one particular
way - tourism, then they want to break it down.

And Fourthly - do you think it's only the President's fault?
The Senators and the Deputies never help in their elections.
They complain that's it's all the President's fault and he wants to
rule by decree, but he has made concessions to them, and they have
fought against it all.  And why would he want to rule by decree - he knows
that the Intl. community would not be happy about it, and would probably
stop a lot of the aid. So it wouldn't be worth his while.

Are we sure that these protesters are "legitimate protesters" - cos the
word around is that they are people who are paid by the politicians who are
pulling the strings behind the scenes. After all, if you're poor wouldn't
you
want some money to help you and your family - so pay me, and I'll protest
all you like!!!  Including the "most popular party" !! Are you even sure it
is
the most popular party - all the people I know who voted for JBA in the past
were totally disappointed in  him and would never vote for him again.

The other point I would like to make also, is that when it comes to the
elections
for Senators and Deputies, none of these people tell the people what
they're
going to do for them if they get elected. They simply say, Vote for me.
75% of them are totally unknown by the ordinary people.  They should have
better civics courses in the schools (if they even have some!), to explain
that the power is in the hands of the Senate and the Deputies, and a
popularity
contest for  a President is not going to help the country.

I know you're all going to yell that I'm politically naive - and I probably
am, but this is
the view point of a non political person on the street!!
I live here - I talk to people all the time about their feelings about the
govt. - so this is their
point of view also!

Jacqui Labrom
--

Voyages Lumière SA
YOUR PARTNER IN TOURISM IN HAITI

email: voyageslumierehaiti@xxxxxxxxx
Tel: (00 509) Cellphones: (00 509) 4805-8289/3607-1321
Website : www.voyageslumiere.com

Journeys for the enlightened traveller
Los viajes para el turista lucido
Voyages pour le touriste éclairé